Thursday, September 10, 2009

Grow Your Own...Dinner

I had no plans for dinner tonight, but after I milked, I checked the garden, and it yielded three small eggplants. That equals eggplant parm, in my book. I topped them with sliced home-grown tomatoes, Parmesan-reggiano cheese and garden basil, then heated up a pint of homemade sausage and kale soup as a side. I have a stockpile of frozen soups.
My home garden yielded rhubarb yesterday, which I knew I had to process or lose, so I chopped it while the eggplant cooked. I had every intention of freezing it for winter,but...
Leftover eggplant breading supplies (egg-milk and flour, not breadcrumbs) = crepes. Hey! I have leftover strawberries in the fridge!
Rhubarb and strawberry sauce.
Crepes stuffed with rhubarb sauce, topped with homemade peach ice-cream and a drizzle of sauce.
I should fail to plan dinner more often! There's nothing like growing your own!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, yes! Sweet and tart, with that little spring the eggs and flour give you. So much better than dumping it in the trash!

    ReplyDelete