Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Today's Plants

Here it is again, folks: the MYSTERY FLOWER! This is the same plant that I photographed a few days ago, only now, instead of being in a wooded park area, it's in an herb garden. And the flowers are open. The leaf is the same. I need to know what it is. I must find out. I WILL find out.
I know that this one (below) is mullein. This was one of those "aha" moments , when I read about it in the herbals. I used to play with this plant as a kid. It grew by the railroad tracks across the street from my childhood home. So did chicory. But I didn't know that then. Mullein, according to "The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook" by James Green, Herbalist, is: "expectorant, an extremely beneficial respiratory remedy that tones the mucous membranes, reduces inflammation, and stimulates fluid production, thus facilitating expectoration." That's the teaser. Buy the book to find out more! Mullein. Who knew? I used to pretend it was a pet bunny. Right now, it feels exactly like a newborn goat kid's ear.
And last, but not least, the ubiquitous garlic mustard. You'll have to research that one yourself. Now that I've found it, I'll never confuse it with ground ivy again. They may look alike, but they FEEL different, and smell different too. I can't wait to try my foraged greens out tonight! What a wonderful time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment