Thursday, March 11, 2010

Self-Portrait with Yams

I took this picture, thinking it would be the "before" to my post-cooking "after", but when I viewed it, it occurred to me that it's a nearly perfect self portrait right now. If you look at the items in the picture, it tells a good story. The first thing you see of course, is the Model Magic bin full of lettuce. I'm an art teacher; I was a consultant for Crayola for several years, and I NEVER throw away things that might be useful. That lettuce pot is actually two nested Model Magic containers (thoroughly washed), with holes punched in the inner one, creating a mini-reservoir for the plants. I have several more growing in the sunroom upstairs, though less developed.
---------------
The vegetables in the middle are a combination of home-grown broccoli raab, basil and par-cel, with Pure Sprouts kale and sweet potatoes. I know I called them yams. "Self Portrait with Sweet Potatoes" just sounds silly. The strainer to the left holds a pile of sprouts: mung beans, alfalfa and radish. Sprouts are the easiest thing ever to do on your own. I've been "sprouting" since the 70's. If anyone is interested, I'll do a tutorial. Let me know.
---------------
Do you see that little green bowl to the right? That's the remains of my woods walk the other day. In it are chickweed, wild garlic, turkey-tail fungus and some pretty green that I found under the snow (and I need to identify). I saw a herd of deer that evening, right near me. Their fluffy tails were the only hint I had of them running away, as they were absolutely silent. It was breathtaking.
----------------
If the goats are kidding, the deer should be too. They're so closely related. A friend once said (during hunting season) "If I was a deer right now, I'd find a herd of goats and try to fit in." Absolutely. Deer are like the ballerinas of the goat world. Graceful, light, high-jumping; otherwise, pretty similar. But I digress.
---------------
Back to the self-portrait...you can see the objects around the vegetables; Mexican canisters from a yard sale in Easton, goat chachkas, retro measuring cups and linens, herbs, oil, funnels, knives; the paper towel dispenser is empty (I'm trying to wean us of that habit; I made a pile of towels and napkins from scraps of cloth). I got the gas range for $40 from Craig's List. I think that covers it.
----------------
It's not all I am, but it's a big part of me now. The farm and its animals, organic food, a history in art and a sensitivity for cultural heritage; culinary and medicinal herbs and a locavore sensibility. The funnels are used for making cheese and making soup; the soup goes to The Caring Place, a wonderful local support center for inner city kids. I do these things every week. It's interesting to me; there's a dance between the cycle of the seasons and the cycle of our daily lives. It's synchronized; things revolve around each other, but not necessarily in sympathetic time. As I get older,I can see the pattern of these things, and it's beautiful to me. Now...I need to make dinner! If it turns out well, I'll post that "after" picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment