This recipe (all mine), makes a hearty, healthy vegetarian soup. It has buttermilk and butter, so it's NOT vegan.
Buttermilk Vegetable Soup
To create broth: Simmer the following in approx. ½ gallon of water (in a medium-large pot) until tender and aromatic:
- Trimmings from: Onions, carrots, shitake mushrooms, zucchini, celery (see below)
- A handful of large dehydrated Asian mushrooms
- Dried parsley
- 2 carrots, cut in pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic
When done, strain and save remaining broth. Take out whole vegetables (Asian mushrooms, carrots, any whole celery) and blend in food processor. Add to broth. Add water if necessary.
Add to simmering broth:
- 1 bunch of watercress, stems and all.
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed small
- 1 small onion, diced
- 5 small zucchini or 2 medium, cut small
- 3 stalks of celery, cut thin
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
Cook until all vegetables are tender, then remove vegetables from the broth and puree in a food processor. Add back to the soup and stir.
Cut the following vegetables (chopped in small pieces):
- 3 medium carrots, peeled• ½ cup baby leeks or scallions
- ½ -1 cup shitake mushrooms (best choice)
- ½ -1 cup mitake mushrooms (other mushrooms may be substituted)
Add 1 cup of buttermilk and a pat of butter. Do not boil after this point. Add water if necessary; the soup should be fairly thick. Simmer until tender, then adjust seasoning.