Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Scary Movies and Various Fungi

In my humble and perhaps tasteless opinion, October is THE VERY BEST movie month. Now, I have to admit that I lean toward the awful, cheesy low-budget horror and/or sci-fi genre, and I know ABSOLUTELY how tacky that preference is, but I don't care one bit. I love them. Ever since my pre-adolescent days watching Chiller Theatre on my grainy black and white TV, under the covers in my bedroom, ever since my discovery of Edgar Allen Poe, Ray Bradbury and Robert Heinlein in Junior High School, ever since my ill-spent youth as an employee of Boyertown, Pennsylvania's State Theater, I have been an avowed B-movie fan. Yes...I mourned the passing of MST3K, which was a Saturday ritual for me for years. Those puppets knew how to make me laugh with their snarky comments and vocal disdain. I miss The Twilight Zone, and Alfred Hitchcock. I miss The Time Tunnel, Star Trek, and even (this dates me, I know) Lost in Space. But for one fair month, I allow myself to step back into the entertainment of my youth, and enjoy the cheap thrills associated with these old gems. I'm not interested in today's slasher movies, though I do relish suspense. I prefer oldies with pseudo-Wagnerian soundtracks that are just as entertaining as the silly stories. I'd buy those soundtracks. So, for the few weeks leading up to Halloween, and often for a few days after, I enjoy my mindless thrillers and low budget sci-fi. Hog Heaven.
---------------------------------------
As for the second half of the title of today's blog, I am very excited to have met a new intern at the farm with a keen interest in all things fungal...including bleu cheese and culinary mushrooms. He seems very knowledgeable about growing one's own oyster and shitake mushrooms, and is as interested as I am in morels. He also pointed out the relationship between animal digestion and fungal processes, which I never knew before. The same byproducts, the same processes of breaking down matter; I'm not clear on this, as I'm not a biologist, but it sounds fascinating, and I love mushrooms, bleu cheese and all things fermented. I believe I may learn a lot from this young man. I look forward to picking his brain during my evening milking sessions; yet another field to explore, and an expert dropped right on my doorstep! I love my life, especially at the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment