Monday, May 31, 2010

No, We Didn't Have a Picnic

What we did have was a day off.  Completely.  To do with as we pleased. This is highly unusual.
So what did we do?
We helped a friend salvage an old metal glider from my daughter's back deck.  Pick-up trucks are handy for that.
We took a mid day siesta together in the living room.  Peter likes the recliner. I like the couch.
And I played in the kitchen when I woke up.
(Peter was snoring.  It happens.)

Which resulted in this (and some blanched greens for the freezer).
We have 4 jars of mint jelly, 6 jars of strawberry rhubarb jelly, and 3 gallons of chicken noodle soup.  We'll  only keep a quart or two of that...it's for The Caring Place and Flint Hill.
Why didn't anyone ever tell me about the wonders of pectin before?  Hmmmm?  Do you KNOW how much mint I have?  Can you comprehend how much people love mint jelly?
Want some? :)
------------
Now...another problem to be solved.  Why is it that when I try to use up the things in my freezer, and make consumable things from them, it results in even more things for my freezer?  I can't deplete it!  It's like the miracle of the loaves and fishes.
Except for shrimp.  And steak.
Go figure.
--------------
And why did we have a day off?  It's Memorial Day.  And as much as I hate war, I respect those that protect our freedom.. So, thank you veterans, for our freedom.  For your contributions to our way of life, sometimes your ultimate contribution.
My hope is that both the people and the government respect the sacrifices you make,
and doesn't use them trivially.
Thank you.
My mother is an immigrant, and I know how hard it was for her in a war-torn country, without the kind of freedom we enjoy here. So many of us have histories that transcend simple American roots...but we're all here because our parents or grandparents were looking for a better life.  We need to respect that, and live that life honorably.  Responsibly.  We have that choice to make.
I wish we could do it peacably, but we are volatile, irrational creatures. We haven't evolved to the point where we can just live together in harmony. I won't elaborate on that; there are so many issues.
Maybe we will resolve these things someday; a more perfect someday.  But in the meantime...
Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment