Monday, July 26, 2010

Road Trip!

Since I'll be getting back to milking the goats on Tuesday, Peter and I took advantage of our relatively duty-free weekend, and combined business with pleasure on a little camping trip. Our mission: to scope out a mobile home that a kind soul was willing to donate to the farm; unfortunately (for the farm), said mobile home was 125 miles away. We booked a camp site, and hit the road.

The trip was a bit circuitous. Luckily, we didn't have a deadline, so it was easy to enjoy the scenery.  We found ourselves on a dirt road somewhere near Stevensville, PA, where these two were crossing the road:

Momma and son pygmy goats
If there's a goat in the road, I'll find her.  These dwarf goats were adorable...and very curious!

One of the "Alpine Lakes"
Our 2.5 hour trip took about 4 hours. Oh well.


We set up camp at The Alpine Meadow Lakes Campsite.  After about an hour or two of Rummy (the card game) and wine, a storm began to roll in...complete with tornado warnings.  Peter, the intrepid camper, braved the storm for awhile.
Storm? What storm?
We had the worst camping neighbors ever; the site filled up with what felt like 30 teenagers (but was actually about a dozen people ranging in age from about 30 down to late teens.  The campground was pretty lax in its enforcement of the drinking age...well, they actually ignored it.  These kids played drinking games at the top of their lungs until 2 AM.  I finally fell asleep with my ears stuffed full of paper towels and a pillow wrapped around my head.  The only thing that saved them from a midnight rant was the fact that they were friendly drunks.  Sheesh.

Worst. Neighbors. Ever.
7 AM:  Headaches commence in 3...2...1...

We woke up early.  I was tempted to blow the horn next to their tents, but I restrained myself. After a breakfast of camp-sandwiches and warm diet cola (it wasn't as bad as it sounds...it was pretty filling!) we began to break camp for the true purpose of our trip: finding and photographing the mobile home for Kathy. As we finished packing up, the clouds rolled in; we were in for a wet day.  Thankfully, the rain broke the heat.  It had been excruciating prior to the *tornado* the night before.

A view of the campground

The countryside was beautiful; the site was beautiful.  We looked forward to a glorious day.

Twin fawns in the road while we were lost; you have to accept the gifts as they're given.
As usual, we got lost. Note to self: Verizon's "Navigator" AP doesn't work in the mountains. But it was early and cool out, so we took our time.  I don't like driving around in circles, though.  After about an hour of it, we stopped for a map and directions.  I felt just like these guys by then. Check out their expressions.  We parked right in front of them; they made me laugh.

WWF road rage faces
Back on the road, we once again zigged when we should have zagged, and ended up in New York State.  We U-turned, and passed this cool auto show on the way back...the way...we came...again.
Bedrock? OK...
We finally found the site, photographed the mobile home in a downpour, met the charming owner and two of his 10 foster kids, then headed out. It was a HUGE trailer. I'll leave the logistics to the pros; our work was done here.

Mission Completed.
Though it poured the entire way home, the scenery was awesome.  There's something so mysterious about mountains in the mist.  They make me wonder what's living in the forests, and how wild and beautiful this country still is in certain places. We stopped for a view of the Susquehanna River...what a sight!  We drove parallel to the river for about 1/4 of our trip home.  It's a gorgeous river: slow, wide, awesome. Kind of like me. ;)

The Susquehanna River
And then, home.  Home feels good after a road trip. I have to say: despite the tornado, rain, lousy neighbors, getting lost, and 8 hours in the car, it was fun. The key is travelling without deadlines or expectations.  The experience unfolds at its own rate, and we can simply witness the wonder. And then happily come home again.
Tuesday will bring me home to the goats; despite my gimpy knee and splinted hand, the girls need me.  Peter has been my faithful partner, and promised to help.  I missed the girls; it'll be good to be back.
Just ignore this picture.  My software won't let me move it up.  It's the near-tornado.

No comments:

Post a Comment