Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Farmer, Artist, Indian Chief

Hannibal Goatster
When did I become a farmer? The last time I defined myself, the most appropriate term was artist.
I had an interesting conversation with Kathy (Fields, owner of Flint Hill, cheese maker extraordinaire) yesterday. We were discussing the habits that people adopt which prevent them from adapting to change. She's reading something by someone who describes these ideas in psychological terms. I'm reading The Book of Secrets by Deepak Chopra, who discusses it this way:
"Everything I am experiencing reflects myself: Therefore I don't have to try and escape. There is nowhere to escape to, and as long as I see myself as the creator of my reality, I wouldn't want to escape even if i could. My life is part of every other life: My connection to all living things makes it impossible that I have enemies. I feel no need to oppose, resist, conquer, or destroy. I have no need to control anyone or anything: I can affect change by transforming the only thing I ever had control of in the first place, which is myself."
Pretty smart guy.
So, this season, I'm a farmer. A decade ago, I was a kayaker. The one before that, I was an artist. Rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief...doctor, lawyer, Indian chief. We are the sum of our experiences. Right now, I feel grounded.
I have a little prayer/mantra that I wrote a few years ago, that focuses on balance and centering, and coming "home". I think it may have brought me the positive energy to be in this space, now.
If you'd like to see more of my Plainfield Farmers' Fair photos, you can find them in my facebook album here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/album.php?aid=2021762&id=1084309455 Be advised, there are some PG13 piggy pictures included!

No comments:

Post a Comment